What is AeHN direct secure messaging?
Direct secure messaging (DSM) is a secure, encrypted web-based communication system for physicians, nurse practitioners, physician assistants, and other healthcare providers to share protected health information (PHI).
How do I get access to Direct Secure Messaging system?
Your organization must appoint a signatory authority for all employees wishing access to DSM. This person must be legally capable to sign on behalf of your company/organization and must accept responsibility for ensuring that all Participant Policies are followed by the DSM users at your organization. This includes HIPAA privacy and security requirements for sending protected health information. See: http://www.hhs.gov/ocr/privacy/hipaa/administrative/securityrule/.
The registration is a multi-step process and can take up to two weeks to complete. Download and fill out the forms below and submit all forms back to email@example.com or fax to 866-966-9030
- Particpation Agreement
- DSM Web HCO Account Request Form
- Declaration of Identity Form
Practical uses for direct secure messaging
- Provider refers a patient to a specialist
- Specialist sends a care summary back to a referring provider
- Clinical lab delivers preliminary, final, or amended lab results
- Care coordinator shares care plans with providers, Medicaid, or other payers
- Mandatory public health reporting
Benefits of direct secure messaging
- Replaces non-secure fax, phone, mail, and other courier methods for delivery of PHI
- Reduces cost for physician offices and hospital medical record departments
- Provides structured data for importing into electronic health records (EHRs)
- Enables physicians to meet meaning use stage 1 outcome—improve care coordination
- Core objective: Capability to exchange key clinical information among providers of care and patient-authorized entities electronically
- Measure: Perform at least one test of the certified EHR technology’s capacity to electronically exchange key clinical information
For more information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.